Following on from BLAB 21, I thought I’d share these from critics who I respect if not always agree with:
- This chat on episode 268 of the SlashFilmCast is at times fascinating and quite relevant to our BLAB chat. The Under The Skin review starts at about 22 mins.
- Josh Larson thinks it’s largely about “body image and its effect on human behaviour“.
- 20-minute interview on Filmspotting #485, by Adam Kempenaar with director Jonathan Glazer about how it shows humanity through an outsiders eyes. Go to about 47mins for the interview. Also has interesting stuff about how it was filmed and the objectification of women.
- Alison Wilmore has a piece about how it is subverting the male gaze, which apparently is a pretty big part of film theory.
- Alison Wilmore (again) and Matt Singer discuss Under The Skin in Filmspotting SVU #63 – I haven’t listened to all this yet.