Scheduled for Thursday 12th of March, at BLAB 26 we will be discussing:
Let it be know that henceforth deliberately avoiding information about a film prior to watching said film shall be known as “Doing a Kim.”
It’s been a long time since I’ve posted shownotes. Oops.
Highlights of the Month:
Andrew: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Headhunters
Anthony: The Dreaming Void by Peter F. Hamilton, The Walking Dead season 4
Andy: Die Another Day, Foxcatcher, American Sniper, Splendor
Jess: Grand Budapest Hotel, Fortitude, Eurosport, Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures Game
Following on from BLAB 21, I thought I’d share these from critics who I respect if not always agree with:
- This chat on episode 268 of the SlashFilmCast is at times fascinating and quite relevant to our BLAB chat. The Under The Skin review starts at about 22 mins.
- Josh Larson thinks it’s largely about “body image and its effect on human behaviour“.
- 20-minute interview on Filmspotting #485, by Adam Kempenaar with director Jonathan Glazer about how it shows humanity through an outsiders eyes. Go to about 47mins for the interview. Also has interesting stuff about how it was filmed and the objectification of women.
- Alison Wilmore has a piece about how it is subverting the male gaze, which apparently is a pretty big part of film theory.
- Alison Wilmore (again) and Matt Singer discuss Under The Skin in Filmspotting SVU #63 – I haven’t listened to all this yet.
From 0:00 to 1:43 it is absolute genius. Rivals Raging Bull for the title.
Yes, that’s right. It’s a Thursday BLAB. What?
I like this: